Two parents. Five kids. One brilliant solution.
As each of her five children rotated out of their nursery and their worlds unfolded, Barbara Miller was faced with a challenge many parents encounter: how to create meaningful space for the kids while allowing other uses for the rest of the family. Oh, and how to make that meaningful space functional and beautiful. As an interior designer and expert at creating kids’ rooms, she discovered ways to merge both. Factor in Barbara’s philosophy of parenting that children should be allowed to be children in their own homes, and a groundbreaking philosophy emerged: YES Spaces.
The YES Spaces philosophy supplies fresh, innovative ways for families to rethink how they use the spaces in their homes. YES Spaces encourages kids to interact and learn in an environment they help create. At the same time, YES Spaces supplies real world solutions to keeping rooms functioning well for the entire family. After watching the positive impact YES Spaces have had on kids’ and their families lives, Barbara decided to launch the YES Spaces concept online and in a book scheduled to be published in next spring.
About Barbara Miller
As owner and principle designer of Barbara Miller Design, LLC, a full-service interior design firm based in Portland, Oregon, Barbara has designed magnificent spaces for adults – and still does. After taking an active role in the education of her five children, Barbara gained a deep understanding of inspiring children through design. When she started focusing on spaces for children and their families, magic happened. In helping parents build rooms with their children, Barbara had discovered meaningful ways for parents to reconnect with their children. “Creating rooms that inspire creativity and bring the whole family together is my passion,” said Barbara.
She has created spaces and consulted in elementary schools and libraries and holds leadership positions in the following organizations:
- ASID Oregon (American Society of Interior Designers) Board of Directors
- NWSID (Northwest Society of Interior Designers) Board of Directors
- WithIT (Women in the Home Furnishings Industry) National Conference Attendance Chair
- West Linn Chamber of Commerce – Ambassador Committee
- Athey Creek Middle School Site Council – Elected Parent Representative
- Willamette Primary PTA – President 2007-2009
- Bachelor of Arts from the University of Southern California
- Associates Degree in Interior Design from Portland Community College
Thank you for visiting YES Spaces!